Nicola Ken Barozzi escribió:

Greg Stein wrote, On 04/07/2003 1.24:

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:22:10PM -0400, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

(...)
The division of XML vs Jakarta predates me for certain, but I think the main
issues surrounding that are rusty.

The problem is Jakarta itself. Centering a PMC around a *language* rather
than functionality is the inherent problem. These questions will continue to
arise over and over.

This can be paraphrased as "Centering a PMC around *the new ASCII spec* rather than functionality is the inherent problem". In a lot of senses, XML has permeated the whole playing field. "Pure" XML projects will either be XML-functionality-toolkit projects or architectural "slices" of other projects. All classification attempts are doomed to failure ( http://www.crockford.com/wrrrld/wilkins.html ) unless we take them with a grain of salt.

At that time it made sense. Java is not only a language, and is so separated from other environments, that it was IMHO the only way of aggregating enough resources to launch something out of it.

But things that go well one time (and Jakarta has been a major success), don't necessarily go well the second.

Things are not static. In the late 80's/early 90's I worked for a company where a Technology department for LA Networking existed. As LAN technology was more and more widespread and standard, the need for such a dept. disappeared. Today it would not make sense, but companies do have "WiFi Technology Depts." which will vanish in a couple of years...

When Grisha Trubetskoy wanted to contribute mod_python to the ASF, a good
number of people called for creating a 'python' TLP.

I'd do it when they'll donate Python itself ;-)
Does wishful thinking work?

To that extent, I'd say it is an XML project.

There is another more simple rule. Who has shown that they want the project most? Apache.XML. Then let them have it.

This is a good heuristic, I think.

However, I think it is mostly
up to the XMLBeans community to ask for one or the other. If that PMC says
"okay", then everything is fine. (and no... PMCs are not allowed to meet at
sundown to duel for an arriving project :-)

No? ;-P

Don't forget that sundown occurs continuously in a slice of the world, and that the probability of an Apache committer seeing a sundown is high at any given moment ( http://cvs.apache.org/~sgala/nightmap.html )

Regards
--
Santiago Gala
High Sierra Technology, S.L. (http://hisitech.com)