Greg Stein wrote, On 08/07/2003 9.58:
On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 08:43:36AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

Greg Stein wrote, On 04/07/2003 1.24:
Agreed. That's what I was trying to say, and my read on the board..
You guys are misconstruing my statements.

Greg, I'm trying to explain in my own words what you have said. I agree with you :-)

And no, Jakarta is not just about "server side Java", when you look at
things like Gump, Regexp, Taglibs, etc.

+1

When Grisha Trubetskoy wanted to contribute mod_python to the ASF, a good
number of people called for creating a 'python' TLP.

I'd do it when they'll donate Python itself ;-) Does wishful thinking work?

Believe me, I suggested that years ago. The Python Software Foundation was started instead (Dick Hardt and I crafted the PSF bylaws based on the ASF's bylaws). The main backers of a PSF effort thought that the ASF was still too confusingly tied to the Apache HTTP Server (despite my protests). I think if we asked again, today, that the answer would be that Apache stands for much more. But the PSF has got its own momentum now, so there wouldn't be much benefit for them to fold up and merge the Python assets into the ASF.

Thanks for the explanation :-)

Why not add them as a "sister project"? .
(No replies necessary here, the "sister project" idea has some tangled implications with another discussion, but you can still read it with your Pythonic hat on ;-)

            - verba volant, scripta manent -