On Dec 28, 2003, at 10:50 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

Geir,

I agree with everything that you said, except one. You have the idea that
when a project moves to TLP status it leaves Jakarta, and that saddens you.

In the above sentence, there is one correct statement :

".. when a project moves to TLP status, it leaves Jakarta."

(this is a correct and true statement) and one sort-of correct statement :

"... and that saddens you."

As it's bitter-sweet - it's good to see projects come out of Jakarta and continue to grow, and it's sad to see them leave, like when leaving a friend after a visit.

What really saddens me is the idea of chasing them out the door.

You said the same thing when Logging was promoted, and Ceki tried to
reassure you that it wasn't going far.

I was 100% supportive of logging going, and hope to see it prosper. However, it did go. :)

Although I concur that projects that been promoted to TLP status have
reduced their ties somewhat with Jakarta, that need not be the case. If you
want Jakarta to be an active community hub, it can be so without a
monolothic PMC.

Jakarta will always have a PMC. Unless the board changes the Jakarta PMCs responsibilities, the PMC will be responsible for the code and communications of Jakarta. We may allow other Apache projects to have links and resources on our website, for example, but as it is the Jakarta PMC legally required to oversee such resources and activities, it's entirely up to us.

geir

[EMAIL PROTECTED]