On Dec 28, 2003, at 3:44 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

Costin Manolache wrote:
I see jakarta more like a union ( EU-style ), were the different
projects that joined are mature entities that choose to be part
of jakarta ( and can choose to get out - all that's needed is a
vote ).  And the PMC role is to make sure the rules are respected

Project maturity aside, I was with you up until the last sentence.

Then you haven't seen what the EU has been up to :) Talk about over-regulation...

 The PMC
is supposed to be performing "the active management of one or more
projects", not ensuring that other people are doing it.  The PMC is not
supposed to be a body of auditors.  I see your analogy as describing
self-managing bodies, i.e., projects with their own PMC, who operate a
collective for the common good.

Because the PMC would consist of those doing the active management (i.e. the active, interested committers) , we have things covered.

geir

--- Noel

[EMAIL PROTECTED]