On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Costin Manolache wrote:

It's never bad to clarify things.

Really? My wife tells me I do it all the time and need to learn to shut up :)

For example ( honestly ! ) it's the first time I hear that the name of the project is "Apache Tomcat". Someone should send a mail to tomcat-dev to inform them, the tomcat site is under the impression that it's called "Apache Jakarta Tomcat" - and almost all docs and packages and books are 'jakarta-tomcat'.

I believe it went through on the PMC list a fair while back, which definitely has a good number of the tomcat-dev committers on it.

It was on the pmc list, subject was 'protection of trademarks'. Bill and Yoav were involved in the long thread, in which consensus appeared to exist on Apache Tomcat.

If nothing else, it's good that we've managed to have this on [EMAIL PROTECTED] rather than [EMAIL PROTECTED] :)

I'm +1 on your email if you are going to send the same kind of email for every use of "Tomcat" and if we are going to send an email every time a company or individual claims he is making 'lead contributions' to an apache project. And I would feel much better if such rules would be written down ( so we can point people to it - and use them in all cases).

I think we should be sending such emails, especially if there's a chance of changing the print article. Also we need to be much more organized internally as to what the views are on all of this.

I'm -1 if this is only about Jboss, it's just not fair.

It may have made it more obvious, but I think the same unhappiness would have happened if it had been anyone unless they had originally contributed the codebase. I doubt we'd see huge complaints about articles discussing 'IBM/Apache's Derby', or, N years ago, Sun/Apache's Tomcat.

Nowadays I'd expect complaints if someone tried to describe it as Sun/Apache's Tomcat.

If tomcat would be a top level project instead of jakarta-tomcat, most likely Remy would be the PMC chair. Acording to ASF rules, the PMC chair is the ultimate decision maker for a project.

Yep, though I can say that from experience that it just increases the worry of being wrong :)

It seems the notion of 'project leads' is not accepted by some - yet
the entire legal organisation of apache is based on a top-down hieararhy
( Board -> PMC chair ). I don't know what is worse - the perception people have about things, or the reality.

Similar to the Codehaus despot argument. Many of our communities are driven by one or two people, but the way we perceive them helps those communities survive the loss of a lead.

I half suspect that it is the blind-eye to the reality of leads that makes it easy for others to step up and become leads.

Hen