Fabian Steiner posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted below,
on Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:58:28 +0100:

> Hi!
>
> I just wanted to recompile some packages because I added some more
> USE-Flags. Unfortunately, linux-headers blocks linux26-headers, which
> obviously shouldn't be used by 2005.0 any more, since the guide demands
> to unmerge them. I looked for solutions in the forums and in bugzilla
> but I haven't found any yet. I'm not sure whether it's a bug or not.
> Perhaps there is somebody to verify. Of course, I could unmerge
> linux-headers and use linux26-headers instead, but IMHO there has to be
> another solution for it:
>
> jupiter ~ # emerge -vpuDt --newuse world
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
>
> Calculating world dependencies ...done!
> [blocks B     ] sys-kernel/linux-headers (is blocking
> sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r3)
> [nomerge      ]           sys-apps/util-linux-2.12q  +crypt -debug +nls
> -old-crypt +pam +perl (-selinux) -static
> [ebuild     U ]            sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.36-r1 [1.36] -debug -diet
> +nls -static 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ]            sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r3  -build
> 34,870 kB
> [nomerge      ]            sys-apps/pam-login-3.17  -livecd +nls (-selinux)
> [ebuild     U ]             sys-libs/pam-0.78-r2 [0.78] +berkdb -debug
> -nis -pam_chroot -pam_console -pam_timestamp -pwdb (-selinux) 84 kB
>
> As you can see util-linux-2.12q wants me to emerge linux26-headers but
> why don't linux-headers-2.6.10 satisfy this package? Probably a bug in
> the ebuild?

Well, take a look at the util-linux ebuild in question.  The relevant
dependency in it is virtual/os-headers.  You mention 2005.0 and this is
the amd64 list so I'm assuming you have /etc/make.profile pointed at
${PORTDIR}/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2005.0.  Take a look at the
virtuals file there, and it suggests the default virtual/os-headers
package should be sys-kernel/linux-headers, so linux-headers should
satisfy the dependency.

I don't know why it's not, but have you tried adding
sys-kernel/linux26-headers to /etc/portage/package.mask, to see if that
straightens things out?

One thing I /can/ verify is that util-linux-2.12q works just fine with
linux-headers-2.6.10, as that's what I have installed here, and the
dependencies all work out (as of yesterday, anyway, haven't synced yet
2day).  That's on a 100% ~amd64 + a few hand-unmasked packages system,
up2date as of yesterday.