Fabian Steiner posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted below,
on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:49:09 +0100:

> Hi,
>
> now >=/sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6 are even masked by
> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask? How may this happen?

Duh... I forgot about that!!  Reread the first step in the upgrade to
2005.0 guide.  You need to unmask it by putting the same (basic) entry in
/etc/portage/package.unmask.  The profiles.mask is there by default for
the folks still stuck on 2.4 kernels, so the devs could combine the
linux-headers-2.4 and 2.6 versions and terminate the linux26-headers
package, so those wanting linux-headers-2.6 currently have to unmask it.

It's possible/probable you had unmasked it originally, but something
happened to the unmask entry.  Either that or you unmasked it by removing
the entry in profiles/package.mask directly, and your change was of course
undone at the next emerge sync.

Anyway, hopefully curing that issue will get the thing straightened out
for you.  Of course, if the virtual is masked, portage will try to find
another and/or throw fits, which is exactly what it was doing.