Fabian Steiner posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted below,
on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:46:49 +0100:

> Thank you very much indeed. This worked for me! Actually, I unmasked it
> manually by adding it to /etc/portage/package.unmask, but something must
> have gone wrong...

Cool! =8^)  Yes, sometimes things /do/ go wrong.  However, I've come to
realize that for me at least, the challenge of overcoming those occasional
"gone wrongs" is a lot of what keeps me fascinated with computers.  If it
wasn't for that, computers would be about as fascinating as the UI on
my freezer <g>, and I'd still be running the dual VCR (now likely upgraded
to DVD and PVR) setup I had back in the early 90s, sitting like a bump on
the chair zombified by the programming designed to cater to the most
easily programmable to go out and buy what they see in the ads.

(As many have observed, at least in the ad-supported market of the US, the
audience isn't the customer, but the product. The customer is the ad
industry which pays the bills.  Thus, the programming is targeted at
those most effectively programmed to buy what the ad industry is selling,
so they will pay more for the ad slots the media industry serves.
Effectively, therefore, the programming is targeted at those most easily
impressed to go buy what they don't need, spending cash that they don't
have by putting ever more on plastic, IOW, those that prefer not to have
to think too much. No /wonder/ the programs seem so /stupid/ most of the
time! I'll keep the challenge of the occasional "gone wrong" on the
computer, thanks very much!)