On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 15:04 +0300, Peter wrote:
> Sometimes I really hate this portage developers pressure not to mark
> ebuilds as stable for a long time. Does developers look at packages
> ChangeLog's?

Not always, no.  Many times we simply bump the package because there is
a bug out there from a user telling us about the new package version.
In fact, I bumped 4 packages last night, that I couldn't tell you what
changed in them.

> I can understand that when the package is rather new it needs more
> testing. But there some examples when I'm sure this ~x86 flag is
> unnecessary. More it even leave buggy applications as stable for gentoo
> while fixed applications are marked ~.

Yes.  We have policy for this.

> One example is stardict. Now it's not in a very fast developing. Look at
> ChangeLog. There are ONLY cosmetical Changes (e.g. new translation added)
> and one bug (possible loop) avoided. So if we have 2.4.3 stable Why not to
> put 2.4.4 into stable???

File a bug to have it stabilized.  There are 100,000 files in portage.
Keeping track of them all is a pretty daunting task.  If the ebuild has
been ~arch for more than 30 days, perhaps you should file a bug on it,
especially if you use it and can help with testing.

> Another example is glade. The stable version in portage is very old, about
> two years old. So it's necessary to move version up. There was a big
> changes in glade with the 2.6.x release. There were some problems. But now
> most of bugs are fixed. So one day 2.6.x version come into stable. And
> again. Does developers forced to mark 2.6.7 as stable when 2.6.8 is only
> bugfix release. Why not to mark 2.6.8 as a stable?

Just because upstream thinks something is stable doesn't mean we do.
There are tons of possible interactions with most packages, and we have
to ensure that it works for our users.

> To avoid statments like: Do it yourself. I want to ask: How can I help?
> What I am doing wrong? About changelog I've mentioned on bugs.gentoo.org.
> Also very orten I first cp ebuild to my local portage tree check that
> ebuild is working and also report about this. But, my hands down, when I
> can see no reaction for a very long time... So this questions, this
> statements.

All you really can do is file a bug.  The truth is that sometimes we get
overwhelmed as developers.  I know that I have bugs that I should have
fixed a long time ago, but when I have 20 minutes to work on Gentoo, I'm
more likely to work on something that is a high priority than a version
bump/stabilization request.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager