On Thursday 20 January 2005 19:43, Paul Waring wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:29:15 -0500, Chris Gianelloni
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You should definitely submit them.
>
> I'm still working on them, besides after a bit of prodding most of the
> packages I wanted updated got done (though I haven't seen them in
> portage yet).
>
> > I think you wouldn't be a developer for very long.  Unless you have a
> > few hundred machines of different architectures and configurations,
> > including different USE and CFLAGS, I doubt you could give a package
> > nearly the testing that it would receive from 30 days in testing.
> > Remember that not everyone syncs their tree every day.
>
> I wasn't suggesting that having lots of machines for one developer
> would replace the usual user testing, merely supplement it and mean
> that perhaps things could be marked stable a bit faster. It's just as
> if an extra big group of users decided to start using ~arch for a lot
> of packages, having more machines (obviously with different setups,
> there'd be no point in having 200 identical machines) would
> theorectically mean problems would be found and hopefully resolved.

I can tell you that even as a developer I keep my own overlay. There are
packages maintained by others that I want an uptodate version of. Most
time I also want personal tweaks. However these packages make up a small
part of the tree. Gentoo makes it very easy to do this. My idea of gentoo
is to use the main tree for the big work, and an overlay for the personal
packages that matter.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze