On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:34:34 -0500, Chris Gianelloni
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 2. Write your own ebuilds and keep them up to date (which is usually
> > what I do for PEAR stuff) using portage overlay to be able to emerge
> > them normally
>
> Another good possibility, though a bit more complex.

Unfortunately it's the only way to do it sometimes if there's a
package in portage that you want upgrading but hasn't been done (i.e.
it's actually out of date rather than just ~arch), short of either
becoming a dev or submitting new ebuilds and hoping someone will have
time to check and commit them. For PEAR it's not really complex,
because all the ebuilds use the same structure as far as I can tell
(although I haven't really tested them yet).

> > 3. Become a dev, setup loads of test machines and unmask stuff yourself
>
> Correct, provided you aren't trying to bypass a minimal useful testing
> period.  Doing so could have your developer status reviewed.

Well yes, I'm not advocating a complete lack of testing, just saying
that if there was a greater range and number of test environments
available you wouldn't perhaps have to wait as long as 30 days before
unmasking something, especially if it was for a non-critical program
(although I suppose every package is critical to someone :).

> At the same time, I know that we're always looking for more talented
> people to help out in many areas, so if you really are interested, then
> you should contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] and see if they have a position
> in your area of interest.

Somehow I think the chances of that happening are rather slim. :)

Paul

--
Rogue Tory
www.roguetory.org.uk