On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 21:16 +0000, Paul Waring wrote:
> I made this point (or something along those lines anyway) with regards
> to the PEAR modules (they're "just" PHP scripts, so in theory
> shouldn't really break anything). It doesn't make much difference
> though, stuff still stays masked for X days from what I've seen/heard.
> The only way round it is to either:
>
> 1. Unmask the package (there is plenty of documentation on how to do this)

This one is easy, as you said.

> 2. Write your own ebuilds and keep them up to date (which is usually
> what I do for PEAR stuff) using portage overlay to be able to emerge
> them normally

Another good possibility, though a bit more complex.

> 3. Become a dev, setup loads of test machines and unmask stuff yourself

Correct, provided you aren't trying to bypass a minimal useful testing
period.  Doing so could have your developer status reviewed.

At the same time, I know that we're always looking for more talented
people to help out in many areas, so if you really are interested, then
you should contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] and see if they have a position
in your area of interest.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager