maillog: 19/01/2005-21:28:49(-0800): Brian Beattie types
> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 21:16, Brian Beattie wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 21:11, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> > > maillog: 19/01/2005-20:37:29(-0800): Brian Beattie types

> > > So people are currently trusting the *name* of a person, but...  What
> > > happens if I show a proper ID but use fake e-mail addresses in my key?
> > > Nobody told me how you verify e-mail addresses...
> > >
> > > So, if I had an anonymous uid in my key, how likely is someone to sign
> > > it without meeting in person? I am not claiming to be Georgi Georgiev
> > > with that uid, I only claim to be [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > To see what I mean -- gpg --refresh-keys [EMAIL PROTECTED] and verify the
> > > signature of this message. The latest uid that I just created has no
> > > name associated with it, so no need for an ID, right? I just need to
> > > prove that [EMAIL PROTECTED] is my address, right?
> >
> > No I don't see, if I can produce an arbitrariy message, signed by the
> > key associated with an ID, be it email, Drivers License, Passport,
> > fingerprint whatever, than I am that persona or I have stolen their key,
> > or I have broken the algorithim.  Stolen keys are a problem nomatter
> > what.
>
> I probably missed part of your point, so let me add a few things, first,
> do you know how easy it is to get a fake ID?  Secondly, when I have been
> dealing with [EMAIL PROTECTED] for years, exchanging email and code, how
> much to I care if the name on their birth certificate is Georgi Georgiev
> or Frank N Stein, or Judy Garland.  The person I know is [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> not Georgi Georgiev.

Oh, my point exactly. I guess I wasn't clear about that. And having
anonymous IDs is a step to achieving this. Or maybe not...

--
\/   Georgi Georgiev   \/ Quality control, n.: Assuring that the       \/
/\    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    /\ quality of a product does not get out of     /\