On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:28:42PM +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:

> > > Because I don't like people telling me (or anyone else) what my/their
> > > name is.
> >
> > Gentoo is no fussier than the government is. If its alright by them,
> > its alright by us.
>
> Actually, Gentoo is. The government doesn't insist on people signing exactly
> what their ID has printed. Christopher could sign Chris, you can
> omit/abbreviate names, etc... With common law, the government even admits it
> does not have the authority to tell you what your name it-- if it is your
> name (by definition of the word 'name'), they accept it.
> Gentoo deals specifically with copyrights. The US government doesn't require
> name of any kind to be used for a copyright. I could write some random
> program without any comments or copyright information whatsoever, and it
> would still be legally copyrighted to me.

OK, that's great. Now go out and apply for a job and just put down
'Luke-Jr' as your name.

Ever been pulled over or arrested? Tell the cop your name is just
'Luke-Jr' because you want it to be.

This is a really ridiculous thread. I'm not sure why I'm participating
aside from the entertainment value.

--
Jon Portnoy
avenj/irc.freenode.net