On Monday 06 June 2005 20:36, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> you really cant make that kind of general statement and expect it to
> hold ... often times there are packages where newer versions suck more
> than previous ones (the way in which they suck i leave up to your
> imagination) ... security/stable minded people are often served best by
> ripping out the small fixes for the current 'most stable' version

Sure, but I'd say the instances where that is truly necessary is rare...
given the # of packages we deal with.  Regardless of whatever QA we have
or RH has, every "enterprise" organization has to do their own tests
before they deploy new software.  Backported fixes occasionally cause
problems.  In the end, RH has very little liability if a customer
experiences downtime.  If someone blindly deploys updates from any vendor
and has downtime, they only have themselves to blame.

I'll leave that to each respective package maintainer what's best.  Setting
a policy either way seems like a mistake.  When people say that
"enterprise" environments have these requirements (backporting fixes, et
al), they're really talking about another distro, not Gentoo.  A separate
organization that uses Gentoo as a base, which would be great and the
right way to go about it...

If we stay flexible enough, people can get what they want out of Gentoo,
even if it's not specifically tailored for either enterprise or home
desktop environments.

Cheers,
Dylan Carlson [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F