On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 01:53:25 +0100
Jakub Moc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1.12.2005, 1:30:41, Marien Zwart wrote:
>
> > Not sure if everyone is aware of this, but most installed pythons link to
> > libstdc++.so. This is not a problem if you run the above revdep-rebuild (it
> > should catch it just fine). It is a problem if you get rid of gcc 3.3 before
> > installing libstdc++-v3 or running the revdep-rebuild, as it will leave you
> > with a broken python and therefore unable to emerge.
>
> Which returns us to the question why don't we build python with nocxx so that
> we could avoid this major PITA.

Actually I'm looking into that. According to the information I have
found on the python-dev list and in python's documentation the libstdc++
link is not needed, but a dev asked a python herd member for it, and
therefore the link was added. Haven't "caught" that dev yet, so at the
moment I don't know why that link is there. If someone on this list
knows the reason it was added, please enlighten me.

--
Marien.