Why not $(portageq newsdir) ?  Currently, that would return only the
one for main tree, but if/whenever multi repo support it added, it
could return a space delimted list.  This makes it simple to manage,
and lets the portage crew
a) figure out what they want to do
b) implement it while keeping this working