On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 04:12:08 -0800 Brian Harring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| What's needed is an extension of the portage configuration so that
| it's able to specify multiple standalone repos, slaved (overlay)
| repos chained against the standalones, package.* filters applied to
| each repo, etc.

Standalone doesn't fit in with the way things can be used. For any
non-trivial case there will be inter-repository dependencies. Why not
view your "collection of available packages" as the union of "packages
available in any repository" instead?

| Local news delivery *should* still be using the user label.  Unique
| repo internal labels don't matter to glep42, since the label that
| news delivery _should_ use is what the user's configuration has named
| it.
|
| Just stating it, since tagging a unique id into the repo isn't a hold
| up for glep42.  What is an issue with glep42 is planning for N repos,
| eg another level of dirs/indirection as has already been stated.

The holdup for GLEP 42 is that you're trying to demand that it supports
some arbitrary future extension to Portage without specifying how that
extension will work.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm