On Tuesday 27 December 2005 03:11, Brian Harring wrote:
> Either way, still not totally following your complaint, thus an actual
> example would help (easiest to assume I'm a moron, and start at that
> level of explanation).

O.k.

1. You have KDE 3.4 and Digikam (version doesn't matter) installed
2. You update to KDE 3.5

What you now have is the following: KDE 3.5 works fine and Digikam as well,
just that it uses KDE 3.4 libs. But what happens: A Digikam update (or you
rebuild for whatever reason). You emerge it (against KDE 3.5), but its
dependencies (libkipi, libkexif ) are still built against kdelibs 3.4. The
result is that compiling Digikam fails. You need to rebuild these
dependencies and every other ebuild depending n those against KDE 3.5. And
Portage should do that transparently.

For now I have written slot_rebuild() which detects the problem at least and
provides the user with the information what to do, but it's dead ugly.

Carsten