On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 09:43:01AM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> It's no more or less supported than anything else on
> overlays.gentoo.org. The word "overlays" ought to be enough. I suppose
> you oppose the whole concept, anyhow?

No, I am certainly not opposed to overlays in general. I even maintain
my own public overlay of packages I work on in portage, an overlay I
consider moving to overlays.g.o when I have more time.

However, as has been pointed out several times in this thread already,
back when the devloper community agreed to the overlays project it was
also agreed that projects similar to what is now known as Project
Sunrise was not be present on overlays.gentoo.org. I believe this was
why many developers agreed to having the overlays project in the first
place. The idea was to have a central repository for the team and
developer specific overlays that already are available on
e.g. dev.gentoo.org. Overlays that are far more limited in contents
and where the ebuilds are written and reviewed by people who actually
know the packages in question.

Instead of following this consensus, the people behind Project Sunrise
choose to ignore this and went ahead and implemented the project -
without even presenting the idea to the developer community before
announcing it's presence to the world; perhaps thinking it would be
easier to get pardon than permission.

As I see it we have already agreed that an overlay of this type should
not be hosted on the overlays project back when the overlays project
was agreed upon. Yet a small number of developers ignored this and
implemented it anyhow behind the back of the rest of the developers,
disregarding their public stated oppinion. As this is a project that
has the potential of affecting the entire project I find this very
problematic.

Regards,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd