Dan Meltzer wrote:
> On 6/10/06, Markus Ullmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> 2) Not one large tree but subdirs, one per herd
>>
>> to help herds better keeping track of which parts are alive in the
>> overlay, each herd's ebuilds are grouped in a subdir, e.g. there will be
>> a netmon/ dir with net-analyzer/specialapp below it.
>>

> If its unofficially part of a herd, then isn't it no longer a m-w/m-n
> ebuild?

I think you are right, see my answer to the threadstarter to find a solution
that works without subdirs.

> I think this is a much improved//thought out version of the proposal.
> From the looks of things sunrise should never make it to layman
> however, because as we all know, anything that makes things more
> easily accessible to users is going to be (mis)used by more of them.
> From what I understand, you see Sunrise as an overlay for users to
> improve their ebuilds because they are insufficient quality to be in
> the main tree.  If they are of this poor quality, they should be no
> where near users hands, this doesn't make sense.

We will yet have to see if quality will be that bad. I want some more time
to see how the ebuild quality works out before we make it more publically
available.

> If on the other hand you saw sunrise as a way for more packages to be
> available to users due to there being a lack of maintainers, asking
> herds to check out ebuilds as part of the proposal seems
> counterproductive to the cause.

They do not have to. It is just nice to let us know that they would like to
see a package in sunrise.

> Maybe you should expand on the goal of the sunrise project, what
> exactly do you want it to do?
The Sunrise Project goals may change, it is not yet running long enough to
know about all the effects and the goals. Because of this, I cannot give
you an "exact" definition now, sorry.

our goals include for example:
- encourage users to write ebuilds
- get new recruits
- make maintainer-wanted ebuild access and development easier
- work with users on new ebuilds and explain them what they can do better

I think these are working out quite well currently, I hope it helps you.

Regards,
Stefan