On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 15:54 +0200, Harald van Dijk wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 09:13:34AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > > A great example of this are web-based applications.  The web-apps project
> > > does not own all the web-based packages in the Portage tree.  There are
> > > many
> > > such packages in the tree that are managed by developers that are not part
> > > of the project.  The web-apps project gets to decide what happens to the
> > > packages grouped in the web-apps herd, but we neither have the right (nor
> > > the desire) to tell other developers that they can't add web-based
> > > packages
> > > to the tree; nor do other developers require our permission before adding
> > > packages to the tree.
> >
> > Again, you are confusing herds and projects.
> >
> > Here's another example of it done correctly.  If you add a game to the
> > tree, the herd should be listed as games.  Period.  Even if you are
> > going to be the sole maintainer of the package, games should be the
> > herd.  Why?  Because it is a game, silly.
>
> Why do no games' metadata.xml specify games@ as the maintainer? I
> thought it was because <herd>games</herd> implies this already, but if
> it doesn't, then dozens of games can be considered unmaintained right
> now, and fair game for anyone to mess with without approval. Are you
> sure you like this interpretation of 'herd'?
>
> You're probably right that herd is supposed to mean what you say it
> does, but existing practise, even by yourself, is very different from
> it.

Umm... no.

See, if there's no maintainer listed, it defaults to the maintaining
project *for that herd*...  Here's another good example.  Go and look at
herds.xml and you'll see this:

<herd>
  <name>games</name>
  <email>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</email>
  <description>Gentoo Games Team</description>

<maintainingproject>/proj/en/desktop/games/index.xml</maintainingproject>
</herd>

As you can plainly see, the games team is the maintaining project for
applications within the games herd, except in cases where a maintainer
is explicitly listed.

That wasn't so hard, now, was it?

--
Chris Gianelloni