Steve Long wrote:
Great. What exactly? How does fulfilling the user requirement with vapier's
solution mess up catalyst?

This is the the first time I've heard of a user requesting this change. It seems to me that many people prefer to *not* have a .bash{rc,_profile} in /root, which is the way it's always been. Why not just add the ability to copy these files with 'emerge --config' to certain ebuilds, and then add a note to the handbook telling users to run the command if they want to?

Even better, just tell the users to run 'cp -a /etc/skel/* /root/' if they really want the stuff, and not modify any ebuilds at all?

--
Andrew Gaffney                                 http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer             Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator