Mike Frysinger wrote:
we should really rename "build" to "stage1", "bootstrap" to "stage2", and then have catalyst add USE="stage3" during the stage3 step ... that would allow packages to automatically key off of the environment

I like this idea (hurray clarity!), but it would add an extra possibly undocumented step for a user to build a system from stage1 (since we don't support stage[12]->stage3 anymore). It would also cause whichever packages that use the 'stage3' flag to be needlessly rebuilt with the first 'emerge -uDN world'.

Personally, I don't see either of these relatively minor issues as show
stoppers.

--
Andrew Gaffney                                 http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer             Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator