Mike Frysinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Thu, 20 Sep
2007 12:34:41 -0400:

> we know that someone taking a stage3 has never configured anything
> before and so we can safely put defaults into /root/.

Just to point out... I've seen people mention overlaying a stage-3 on an
existing installation for recovery reasons, generally broken gcc or (on
amd64) switching back to multilib from 64-bit only profiles, so it
/cannot/ be rightly assumed that there's not an existing configuration
in /root/.  (Whether that's the right way to accomplish such recovery
isn't the point; the point is, it's done, by people desperate to get a
working system once again who know no other way to do it.)

Chris's idea of testing both USE=build *AND* that there's no existing
file there that's going to get blown away, sounds reasonable, regardless
of the debate over where the code is eventually placed.