Andrew Gaffney wrote:

> Steve Long wrote:
>> Great. What exactly? How does fulfilling the user requirement with
>> vapier's solution mess up catalyst?
>
> This is the the first time I've heard of a user requesting this change. It
> seems to me that many people prefer to *not* have a .bash{rc,_profile} in
> /root, which is the way it's always been. Why not just add the ability to
> copy these files with 'emerge --config' to certain ebuilds, and then add a
> note to the handbook telling users to run the command if they want to?
>
> Even better, just tell the users to run 'cp -a /etc/skel/* /root/' if they
> really want the stuff, and not modify any ebuilds at all?

That sounds fine to me; my personal feeling is that I prefer to set my own
stuff up, and certainly don't want ebuilds touching /root. Having a sane
default in the stage 3 for new users seemed reasonable, however, and as
vapier said that can only be done when building the stage.

The user education approach does sound better.