On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:15:10 +0800
Zhang Le <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think we should first decide on how EAPI works.

That was decided a long time ago.

> Just because we need a new feature, then we produce a new EAPI?
> I think that is not feasible, and will confuse developers.

Uh... Yes. It's entirely feasible, it's how things work and it's an
entirely sensible model.

The *problem* is not EAPI itself. The problem is how EAPI is currently
specified by ebuilds. That's all the GLEP changes, and all it really
needs to change.

> >> especially PM specific EAPI. We can't have PM specific EAPI,
> >> otherwise we are risking forking/splitting ourself.
> >
> > Package manager EAPIs don't belong in the main tree, but they have
> > uses outside of it.
>
> Then would you please introduce how paludis-1 EAPI differs from
> official EAPI's?

It has a bunch of arbitrary, randomly changing features that I need
when doing test cases for functionality that isn't covered by any
official EAPI. For example, a long before EAPI 1 came along, Paludis
had slot dep support. In order to test slot deps, we needed an EAPI
that permitted them -- hence paludis-1.

--
Ciaran McCreesh