On Dec 20, 2007 8:01 PM, Zhang Le <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How many EAPI's do we have now?

In Portage tree we have "0" (default) and "1". There are others in
external projects, for example "prefix" (in Gentoo/Alt:Prefix) or
"paludis-1" (used in paludis repositories).

> Where is the detailed definition of those EAPI's?

"0", "1" and any further official EAPI are defined in PMS. There's a
svn repository at http://svn.repogirl.net/pms

> How can we produce a new EAPI?

I can't tell you the exact process, but look at EAPI bug trackers or
search for bugs assigned to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Also, search in
@-dev's archive.

> IMO, we can not have more than two EAPI's simultaneously.
> The only situation in which we can have two EAPI is in the transition period
> of those two EAPI's. And we should set a time constraint on the transition.

Quite the opposite. EAPI's are designed to live happily together in
the same repository. A current example: most (or lots...) ebuilds in
the tree don't need EAPI="1" and it's pointless to migrate all of
them. We can switch EAPI on an as needed basis.

> Other than that we can only have one working EAPI which all package managers
> conforms to.

Read above, and other discussions. That's also pointless because we
don't need to force all third party overlays to upgrade EAPI everytime
we have a new one...

--
Santiago M. Mola
Jabber ID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]