Richard Freeman wrote:
> Some object to parsing out the EAPI without sourcing the ebuild (only
> bash can source bash).  I disagree with this argument - every time you
> run a shell script it is sourced by something other than bash - the
> kernel has to figure out what script interpreter to use by parsing the
> first line.  There is no reason we can't use a magic number in the same
> way with the EAPI.  That isn't reason enough on its own to put the EAPI
> in the filename, but it is a start.

+1

It was mentioned that "comments are to be ignored", but you point out a
perfect and very fundamental example of where this is not true:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

Putting another line close to this one with:

#EAPI=42

or

#!EAPI=42

if you like (conforms more to the shell script specifier), is not too
muchh of a stretch.

> Most software packages store version information internal to a file
> format.  I'm actually not aware of many that put it in the filename.

Only a few, mainly Windows, I believe.  Like .WSn (as pointed out on the
Filename_extension wikipedia page).  But oddballs like this suggest to
me that a hack had to be done because the version could not be gleaned
in a more subtle way from the file itself (e.g. MS Word does this
transparently - all are ".doc").

                                        -Joe