Olivier Galibert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 03:14:47PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > <!-- EAPI="3" -->
>
> *Then* would be the time to change the extension.  As long as the
> ebuild is bash-parseable with an appropriate environment, it doesn't
> make sense to change the extension because a env-variable set or a
> comment are more natural methods.
>
> If/when the format changes to something not parseable by bash, then it
> will be time to change the extension.  And then how to mark
> (sub-)version will depend on the chosen new format, in case of xml
> that would be the dtd information.
>
> I suspect the rejection of the extension change will be there as long
> as the fundamental format (bash script) doesn't change.

Well said.  This is something that I've heard bandied about on IRC now
and then, and sounds to me (notably *not* a package manager developer)
like a fairly reasonable compromise.

To the proponents of GLEP55:

Is there some reason that GLEP55 is preferable to this?

Are there reasons why a particular filename extension could not apply
to a range of EAPIs?

Why not just bump the filename suffix when it is required to support a
new EAPI that breaks the sourcing rules of previous EAPIs?

Or will backwards-incompatible changes be happening so frequently that
the package suffix will have to change for every EAPI bump anyway,
which would make this proposal equivalent to GLEP55?

--
Jim Ramsay
Gentoo/Linux Developer (rox,gkrellm)