On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Matthew Summers
<quantumsumm...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> In point of fact all modern Linux kernels have an initramfs built in
> now, that when empty is effectively bypassed, so there is no wheel
> reinvention. To quote the docs [1]

Yes, but that embedded initramfs doesn't actually do much of anything
right now.  It may exist from an architecture standpoint, but it
doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of work to be done which would be
redundant with work already done elsewhere.

I can see where you might want a simpler solution than dracut as an
alternative for more embedded setups/etc.  It probably would be
cleaner to just create a new solution than modify dracut to get rid of
udev/etc.

In any case, as long as a solution exists for md+lvm+luks+/usr before
we start breaking more stuff than is already broken, then we should be
fine.  Having more than one optional solution is fine.  While I don't
think that gentoo needs to be another Ubuntu, having reasonable
out-of-the-box support for one of the major desktop environments
running on md+lvm+luks seems pretty useful.

Rich