On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Greg KH <gre...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Also, again, this is an upstream issue, based on the packages you have
> installed, not anything that has changed in the distro itself.  Upstream
> is also working to resolve the issue already, by mounting /usr from the
> initramfs, to keep this sane, so people shouldn't really have to worry
> about this too much, unless they don't use an initramfs...

Agree.  The news was a little shocking to me actually - I had no idea
people were doing this.  I suspect it just happened as things like
udev went from enhancements used when you inserted something in a
pcmcia slot to core features used to get everything from your hard
drive to your mouse to work.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like we're stuck going
the initramfs route unless we want to become Gentoo vs the world.
Dropping support for udev clearly isn't going to be a practical
option, and the number of changes we'd have to make to get it and its
dependencies out of /usr is going to be a challenge.

I suspect that in the end we're either going to end up requiring
initramfs, or we're going to end up implementing what is otherwise in
dracut in openrc to get those drives mounted much earlier.

Gentoo is a bit unusual in not requiring initramfs in the first place.
 We can get away it mostly because everybody customizes their
kernels/grub/etc anyway.  If you're a binary distro and want a one
bzImage/grub.conf fits all then you need a fancy initramfs to make it
work.

Rich