On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Marc Schiffbauer <msch...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> * Robin H. Johnson schrieb am 05.08.11 um 02:46 Uhr:
> [...]
>> That leaves the only reasonable solution as #2. In terms of minimal
>> impact, I propose that we offer users with a static system an absolutely
>> minimal initramfs, that _just_ mounts the required directories.  No
>> modules, no LVM, no MD, no crypto etc - if you want that functionality,
>> go and use genkernel or dracut. If your fstab contains a line like:
>> /dev/sdXN /usr ...
>> Then this initramfs is for you.
>>
>> The minimal initramfs would do the following.
>>
>> 1. Mount devtmpfs/sysfs/procfs as needed to access devices.
>> 2. Mount real_root to /newroot
>> 3. Read /newroot/etc/initramfs.mount and /newroot/etc/fstab
>> 4.1. If /newroot/etc/initramfs.mount does not exist
>>      Assume it contains only: /usr /var
>> 5. Mount the combined items from said files
>> 6. pivot_root.
>>

> That sounds like a good compromise to me!

Why would we build yet another initramfs vs just making dracut work
reliably?  You can already build dracut without support for
lvm+raid+luks/etc.

If we're going to require an initramfs then we should make sure that
ALL gentoo-provided solutions work before we expand the need for a
mounted /usr.  The genkernel team already mentioned that they plan to
switch to dracut, so we really just need to get dracut working
properly.

That said, nobody is preventing anybody from re-inventing the wheel if
they wish to do so.  I just wouldn't just offer it up as an example of
a perfectly acceptable migration strategy, when we've had a lvm+raid
howto for years that wouldn't be compatible with it.

Rich