On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 14:29:41 +0200
Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Here's the important bit, which I shall prefix with some stars:
> >
> > *** The point of DEPENDENCIES is not to replace n variables with one
> > *** variable.
>
> Yes, it is.

You've clearly either completely missed the point of all of this,
despite it being pointed out to you, or are just trying to cause
trouble. Whilst you may be thinking of a DEPENDENCIES proposal that is
about replacing n variables with one variable (and I've never seen such
a proposal being made), what we're discussing here is not that. Kindly
stay out of this discussion until you understand what it is we're
discussing.

> These are the rules for a machine. People don't actually read
> dependencies sequentially. Provide a good algorithm which works from
> any position.

Read backwards from the current position until you find a label. It's
the same algorithm you use to find out what the current section is when
you're reading an article.

> The algorithm you presented above was technicality as well.

Agreed, but it was explicitly requested by Brian, so I provided it.

> So, now that your forked the thread

...as requested by Brian...

> shall we repeat all the disadvantages which you love to forgot to
> mention?

No, please stay out of this until you understand the original proposal,
and in particular the parts marked with ***. So long as you don't
understand what we're discussing, I'm afraid any contributions you make
will simply be shouting and waving.

--
Ciaran McCreesh