On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 12:46:41 -0300
Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I actually do like the concept but I'm not sure we can reach consensus
> about '*DEPEND vs DEPENDENCIES'; a possibility to get people used to
> it could be to have two parallel EAPIs, like 6 and 6-dependencies,
> where the former will keep the old style and the latter use
> DEPENDENCIES.

With eclasses supporting both of them? That's more than crazy.

> After some time has passed, it could be decided to kill the less
> useful one, say in EAPI 8, and get only one 'latest' EAPI again. This
> decision doesn't need to be left only to the council, but since it
> affects everyone it could be a vote from all the dev community.

Why the dev community only? We have many active contributors who aren't
devs and who work hard with ebuilds. It's *their* time which will be
wasted on rewriting dependencies into new form, not yours.

> There is also the possibility that a consensus will never be reached
> and that the two styles will have to live forever, but after all, the
> EAPI concept is made for this.

I believe the correct concept is 'fork'. And that's what Exherbo did.

> Given this possibility, a debate 'I perfer *DEPEND' vs 'DEPENDENCIES
> are more flexible' doesn't make much sense now. What should be
> discussed is the concept itself.
>
> For example, what is the HDEPEND equivalent for DEPENDENCIES ? exherbo
> documentation doesn't seem to mention an equivalent label.

But Ciaran has just said that this isn't about the labels! It's about
a philosophy in life.

Seriously saying, this isn't about equivalent types. We can choose any
labels we like. It's all about the form in which we will do it.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny