Markos,

Markos Chandras wrote:
> I totally disagree with the way Doug started this thread.

That's of course completely fair, but try to look beyond that, and
let's focus on how we can make things better for everyone.

> Calling us "brain dead" ?

Please read email even more carefully, especially when you read
something that makes you upset. I think you completely misunderstood
what Doug wrote. He wrote:

"I'm curious who had the brain dead idea to retire Gentoo developers

that are still interested in the distro"

So as I mentioned in a previous email that I wrote, *you* aren't
being attacked here. "brain dead" is of course strong wording, but
note that it refers to the idea and *not* to anyone who is
implementing the idea. I guess the idea is really really old by now.

> No sorry, I am not willing to discuss anything about this policy
> nor willing to change it

That's not very helpful. I had expected much more from you, since you
are a strong contributor to Gentoo since a long time.

> if someone can't behave properly and ask us nicely to discuss the
> problem.

As I wrote, I think Doug's email was nice enough. He included his
attitude as background for an inquiry. It should be pretty easy to
recognize which is which, and for the community to work together on
making things better for everyone, with focus on the inquiry.

Refusing to discuss and change for any reason seems pretty weird to
me.

Basically you are saying that communication can only happen on your

own terms, instead of trying to always adjust communication to your
party. Guess what happens if both parties do that.

> We never *insulted* or *threated* anyone with retirement

Cool! My impression of the process was the exact opposite. I don't
have experience from it of course, but the way it was described it
was certainly a big part of me not being able to grow motivation to
work through the Gentoo recruitment process.

> I never expected this attitude just for asking "hey are you there?
> do you still want to maintain all these packages? any ETA on coming
> back". Seriously...

Maybe you can understand that there is a disconnect between what
people who have no experience from what you do and what you actually
do? That was certainly the case for me, and maybe also for Doug. The
documentation that I once read was certainly much more aggressive
than what you and others describe, and it's easy to assume that
documentation is correct. :)

//Peter