On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 08:39:20 +0300
Samuli Suominen <ssuomi...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 09/08/13 04:05, Zac Medico wrote:
>
> > This seems like a possible applicatio for "mix-in" profiles like
> > Funtoo uses:
> >
> >    http://www.funtoo.org/wiki/Flavors_and_Mix-ins

Thanks, that definitely looks interesting; reading it I actually would
love to see this implemented to ease the user from switching from one
to another init system, or whatever needs switching in the future.

> What if eg. profiles/targets/desktop would have sub directory
>
> profiles/targets/desktop/systemd which would have a 'parent' of '..'
> with USE="-consolekit systemd" and more importantly, the could-be
> kludge to setup the /usr-move, the could-be environment variable to
> disable functionality of gen_usr_ldscript...
>
> profiles/targets/desktop/gnome with 'parent' of '..' and
> '../../systemd' ...

Let me stop you right here; part of this idea came to mind yesterday,
but I saw a flaw in it so I did not suggest it:

  What if a certain profile needs to support two such profiles (eg.
  upstart and systemd) that have conflicting choices (eg. one profile
  lists -systemd, the other systemd); then you can no longer list both
  as a parent as they will simply clash and make conflicting changes.

Of course this isn't a problem for this situation, but it may become a
problem in a future situation if we're going to follow this practice;
that's why I think now that mix-in profiles fit the purpose better.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D