All,

it seems that we have mostly agreed that this proposal is a good one, so
I want to focus the discussion on the specific behaviour of localmount
and netmount.

Currently, they mount all file systems in mass and exit successfully
regardless of whether the mounts are successful. I feel this is a bug
because it doesn't correctly report what happened, so I want to change
their behaviour so they can fail if one of the dependent mounts fails.

The other change I want to make, considering that the mount.* scripts
will actually do the work of mounting the file systems, is to turn
localmount and netmount into wrappers which will do nothing other than
pull in the appropriate mounts. The sys admin would have to configure
which mounts are local vs network using settings in
/etc/conf.d/{local,net}mount.

What do folks think of these changes?

If they are combined, is this significant enough change to warrant a 1.0 version
bump?It would be if I were removing local/netmount, but I'm not sure
whether it is since I'm basically just changing the behaviour to fix a
bug.

William

if