On 08/12/15 22:38, William Hubbs wrote:

> I always wondered why pkg_pretend never caught on.

Because, in a way, it triggers at the wrong point of the merge.

emerge -pv fnurk => dependencies look ok

emerge fnurk => pkg_pretend bails out ... eh?!

(This would be a little bit confusing, if not actively hostile, and
useflags + required_use are a lot more 'natural' to the emerge workflow)

> I to can see the advantage of it over REQUIRED_USE; it would allow the
> package maintainer to give specific error messages about why use flag
> combinations are invalid for a package.

And now someone will say "annotations". Sigh.

have fun,

Patrick