On 08/12/2015 05:44 PM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> On 08/12/15 22:38, William Hubbs wrote:
>
>> I always wondered why pkg_pretend never caught on.
>
> Because, in a way, it triggers at the wrong point of the merge.
>
> emerge -pv fnurk => dependencies look ok
>
> emerge fnurk => pkg_pretend bails out ... eh?!
>
> (This would be a little bit confusing, if not actively hostile, and
> useflags + required_use are a lot more 'natural' to the emerge workflow)

The nice thing about REQUIRED_USE is that it is math expression, and
math is a sort of universal language. It leads to uniform error
messages. You can imagine that pkg_pretend messages will tend to be much
less uniform!

>> I to can see the advantage of it over REQUIRED_USE; it would allow the
>> package maintainer to give specific error messages about why use flag
>> combinations are invalid for a package.
>
> And now someone will say "annotations". Sigh.

Well, nothing stops people from using pkg_pretend to create fancy error
messages now!

--
Thanks,
Zac