On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 13:38:19 -0600
William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 07:47:01PM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 13:02:48 -0500
> > Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > > The devmanual states:
> > >
> > > The name section should contain only lowercase non-accented
> > > letters, the digits 0-9, hyphens, underscores and plus
> > > characters. Uppercase characters are strongly discouraged, but
> > > technically valid.
> > >
> > > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html
> > >

> > > Why are uppercase characters strongly discouraged?
> > >
> > > Wouldn't it make sense to follow upstream's naming convention?
> >
> > I'd say keeping things lowercase makes sense for end user packages.
> > For pure dependencies with consistent conventions (e.g. perl), it
> > makes sense to keep upstream's naming.
>
> I'm not advocating renaming this, but I found an example of this when
> looking to package something:
>
> dev-python/configargparse is called ConfigArgParse upstream.
> If we had named it dev-python/ConfigArgParse, we wouldn't need to set
> MY_PN, MY_P or S in our ebuild, and I wouldn't have had to check the
> package to see if it was the same as the package I need to depend on.
>
> William

It gets worse than that.  I recently added several pkg to the tree that
had slightly different names for the github repo than they publishedin pypi.
I in turn ended up naming it slightly different to fit our
category/pkg system.  So, the end result is not one common name, but
three.  For some, I tried to stick with the github repo name, despite
getting the tarball from pypi due to the inconsistent github sha's.

--
Brian Dolbec <dolsen>