On Thu, 2021-09-30 at 08:40 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to have some switch (e.g. --style=legacy) that
> controls this new vs. the old behaviour?  Would perhaps allow
> applications that parse the output to work via setting this in the
> global opts.

Patches welcome.  It shouldn't be hard, my commit shows which files need
to be edited to alter the prefixes and how to pass them into ebd.

> In addition, much like the colour map, how do you see this change in
> light of eclasses, init-scripts, etc. that also use the same scheme as
> Portage at the moment?  Would you expect to change those too at some
> point?

Eclasses are supposed to use standard einfo, elog... functions, so they
should just work™.  If someone's reinventing the wheel, it's not my
problem.

Init scripts aren't supposed to be used inside the PM, so that's out of
scope.

> Final question, am I understanding correctly that normal lines are not
> prefixed with something?  Would it be, for consistency, alignment, and
> certainty of selecting rows something to use a prefix for those lines
> too (assuming they aren't at this point)?

I don't know, we've never done that.  I suppose it would be possible but
it is even more controversial and unlike the proposed changes, it would
actually require mangling the process output.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny