I'm sure this has been said many times, but as I've just been bitten by this
again I figured I'd beat the horse once more.

In an effort to update my system, I ran "regenworld" followed by
"emerge -u --deep world", thinking that would cover me pretty well.

And yet, upon browsing through my installs with kportage, within a couple of
minutes I found that my version of gkrellm was way behind. Upon issuing an
"emerge -pu gkrellm" I further discovered four other dependent packages that
were, in some cases, several versions behind.

I think it's amazing and somewhat ridiculous that I can't simply execute
"emerge -u all" and have *every single package* on my system be brought up
to date. It's just incredible that there's no one-step, simple way to
completely update my entire Gentoo system.

So, I guess for now I'm stuck using kportage and qpkg to manually sniff out
old packages on my system and to manually upgrade them.

Please, please include a universal updating function in Portage soon!

Thanks,
Eric