Oh God don't start the vi-emacs-nano-elvis-jed war again. If you want to use
VI just do:

emerge vi

and continue on your merry way. Who cares that historically *nix has VI in its
base install? Cars used to have a crank out front to start them up but no one
complained when the first car was produced that didn't have one.

Elvis