I think I understand why the gentoo folks decided to use nano - I
mean it's obvious: anyone can use it bacause of the help line; _no-one_ not familiar with it can use vi.

I agree with this viewpoint. Nano (and it's predecessor pico) is remarkably easy to use, and is also very lightweight. It can do practically anything you need or want, when editing basic config files and scripts.

The argument of the original poster was that you can expect vi to be
present in any unix environment. And although I am not an old unix
guy, from what I have learned about unix he does have a point.

I daresay it wouldn't be too much of a burden to add a lightweight incarnation of vi to the stage1 tarball. It'd make the ISO image and tarball slightly bigger for *everyone*, but I don't think 40K (or whatever) is a big deal when the ISO is already well over 10MB.

And it'd overall save bandwidth, because we wouldn't have all these threads discussing whether it should be there. :-P