i simply agree, i won't argue what's better, i'll just say vi/vim is on every othere system i use (solaris hpus sco unixware aix etc. etc.) and nano isn't. it's what i and most other advanced users use as atleast a fall back editor. most more advanced users use gentoo, th install is very confusing to a "noob" being as gentoo is more targeted tword semi-advanced users, vi would be a logical addition to the boot cd and base stage1 tarball, pardon the confusing statements as i have been drinking. but i think i got my idea across. gentoo = advanced user = knows vi, some like it some don't but it is somthing we all think to fall back on if all else fails at the least.