I don't know if there is an 'official' script to remove them, just like there
isn't an official way to backup your system. U just kindof gotta do it. :)

Like when you do backup your computer, most people recommend that you
delete all the /usr/portage/distifiles and a couple other places.

They are only important when you want to install something, after that they
are not needed. Let's say for example you had a 1.2 system, and upgraded to
1.4 system, then upgraded to 1.4rc,... you would have all those files in your
/usr/portage/distfiles folder. Well, of course you don't need them all.

If you have a slow connection, then maybe you would want to compare it to
the most recent distfiles to get rid of what you didn't need or maybe backup on
CD the ones you do feel you need. If you have a faster connection I wouldn't worry.

Anytime I backup the system I delete them all and sometimes do just to clear
out the trash, but then again, I am on broadband.

In essence from my long winded explaination: Once they are installed they are
not really needed anymore by the system.