On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 10:23:15 -0400
"brett holcomb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You can remove anything from the distfiles directory.  It
> will just download them again.  You could check the world
> file or use qpkg -I to list the installed files or epm (I
> think that's the utility) as in epm -qa.
>
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:16:54 +0300
>   raptor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >hi,
> >
> >how can I get the list of the packages and their sources
> >(/usr/portage/distfiles) that are safe for removing.

This comes up every few weeks.  What am I missing here?

 I've never found anything except the kernel sources an the xfree
sources that are ever referenced again.  99% of the packages are
discrete installs rather than a base packages with patches.  I regularly
wipe/usr/portage/distfiles and /var/tmp/portage without any dire
consequences.  I almost never see anything reloaded that I wiped
out.  Since I have cable that's not a problem, but how often does one
update the kernel or xfree sources anyway?

It would seem that the developers should put a proper rationale for what
to do in the gentoo documentation, and then we could close this out
permanently.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
gentoo stable - ext3