Any new revision (-r1,-r2...) will almost certainly use the old source
tarball. Of course Portage will happily redownload any file it needs, but
here's a more-or-less bulletproof way to clean out your distfiles:

mv /usr/portage/distfiles /tmp
mkdir /usr/portage/distfiles
FETCHCOMMAND='mv /tmp/distfiles/${FILE} ${DISTDIR}' emerge -fe world
rm -rf /tmp/distfiles

This should be about as perfect as you're likely to see. Unfortunately it
does take a while to run. If you have leaf packages that aren't in your
world file I guess you could add qpkg -I -nc|xargs.
-Heschi