On Saturday, May 31, 2003, at 03:01 am, Klaus D. Neumann wrote:

Trying to install gentoo from within my SuSE 8.0, I ran into the following problem:
After I created the boot disk (tomsrtbt) and the utility disk containing parted, I login as root, mount /dev/fd0 to /floppy, which first had to be created, cd to /floppy, check with ls that parted is there, then run ./parted /dev/hdb, and the system answers: ./parted: not found

I'm not sure if you'll find this helpful - this might be a dumb question, but what IDE channel is the drive you're trying to install upon..? Is it master or slave..? Is it really /dev/hdb..? What's on /dev/hda..?

I found when i was trying to do something similar (install Gentoo on a Vaio C1 which already had RedHat (8.1, I *think*) on) that I was able to boot to the RedHat on /dev/hda/, go to single user mode & run parted from there.

HTH,

Stroller.

--
Enjoyed this post? Thanks for reading - please consider employing me!
Technical support / system administration - CV available on request